The Dorcas Street Primary School was one the first historic projects undertaken and really set the direction for The Edge Development Group going forward, choosing historic locations to develop. The Tudor-Gothic style, two storey, polychrome brick building was constructed in 1880 to a design by architect Charles Webb, as a result of winning competition. The school closed in December 1996.
The Edge Development Group was commissioned to construct 21 residences within the confines of the historic school. Because of its exceptional aesthetic and historic features, strict guidelines were set in place to ensure its period features were retained. Internally New York style tri-level conversions with grand Neo Gothic proportions were designed and constructed. These sophisticated contemporary open plan spaces combined dramatic light filled voids, gallery walk-ways and sleek modern finishes.
The development won The Masters Builders Association Excellence in Construction (Existing Buildings) $2m-$10m award. The judges praised the Group’s attention to historic significance and to this day the project stands out as one of the most intact and successful examples of a Tudor-Gothic style polychromatic brickwork building.